Study in Canada

Apply to study in Canada as an international student, extend your study permit and find out about working while you study or after you graduate.

Canada has a wide variety of exceptional universities and colleges that caters to people with diverse educational needs. Foreign nationals who wish to obtain an education from a designated Canadian institution must first obtain a study permit.


The Study permit is a document issued by the Canadian government that allows foreign nationals to study a designated learning institution in Canada. A study permit is typically valid for the length of your study program, including an additional 90 days that allows you to prepare your leave or application for an extension. It is also important to note that a study permit doesn’t allow you to enter Canada; you will still need to be issued a visitor visa once your study permit is approved.


Watts Immigration Consulting provides thorough advice and support to international students who wish to attend school in Canada, ranging anywhere from elementary school to college or university. We also provide quality assistance to students who want to work on/off-campus while studying, as well as helping them to extend their study permits. For students who successfully graduated from college or university and are interested in working in Canada, we not only assist them in obtaining a post-graduation work permit, but we also offer additional services, including drafting professional resumes and cover letters. Our guidance will provide our clients with the tools to find a job in their field efficiently and help them meet the requirements to become eligible for future permanent residency in Canada.

Obtaining a Study Permit

Before obtaining a study permit, you must obtain a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution from Canada. Public schools in Canada are automatically designated under the school board. There are also options for attending private schools provided they meet the requirements.


IRCC will require you to provide sufficient evidence of your willingness to study Canada and interest in the specified program. You must also show a clear and reasonable study plan to demonstrate your commitment to completing the program. They will also consider your financial capabilities to pay for your tuition fees and living expenses. It is also important that you provide sufficient evidence of your intention to return home once your studies are complete. Additionally, you must obtain a medical examination to establish that you are in good health before entering Canada.


At Watts Immigration Consulting, we provide clear and concise guidance in explaining all the relevant factors that the IRCC would consider in the application process to maximize your chances for a successful outcome. Generally, the application for a study permit or extension can take up to 30 days to process according to the IRCC website.

Students Working in Canada

Foreign nationals in Canada holding a study permit may also be eligible to work on or off campus once their studies begin. It is necessary for students to demonstrate that they are currently enrolled in full-time studies to be considered eligible to work. Please note that this does not require you to apply for a separate work permit

If you your study program includes a requires co-op or internship placement, you will then be required to obtain an additional work permit.

Extend your Stay as a Student

Those who have not completed their studies and/or wish to study in Canada longer must extend their study permit at least 30 days before it expires. By applying to extend your study permit before the expiration date, you will be able to stay in Canada under the same conditions as your current study permit until a decision is granted.


Students must be able to demonstrate that they plan on continuing and completing their studies by supplying an enrolment letter and recent transcripts.


If your permit has expired and you have lost your status, contact our office immediately so that we may be able to help restore your status as a student depending on the circumstances.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

Once foreign nationals have completed their post-secondary education, they may apply for a post-graduation work permit so that they may utilize their skills within the Canadian labor market and gain valuable experience. Gaining a year of valuable work experience after graduation may also make you eligible for permanent residency under the Canadian Experience Class Program.


You have 180 days after your University/College issues your final marks to apply for the post-graduate work permit. The validity of your permit will vary (8 months to 3 years) depending on the length of your study program in Canada. Students must also demonstrate that they have been continuously enrolled on a full-time basis during the course of their studies.  


We strongly encourage international students to get in contact with our office as soon as they graduate or are in their final term so that we can provide further guidance and maximize their possibility to apply for permanent residency in the future.