Family Sponsorship

Your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents of Canada.

Canadian citizens or permanent residences may be eligible to sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, or relative so that they may also become a permanent resident. The requirements and application process may differ depending on who you are sponsoring.


Here at Watts Immigration Consulting, we understand the urgency and importance of having your family with you. That is why we work diligently to ensure that our clients take the proper measures to successfully sponsor their eligible family members. The tedious and stressful application process can be very daunting however, we make sure to provide clear and concise guidance to ensure that every criterion is met.

Spouse, Common-Law or Conjugal Sponsorship

The three different categories of spouse or partner sponsorship include: spousal sponsorship, common-law sponsorship, and conjugal partner sponsorship. Each category is met with different legal definitions and eligibility requirements.


A spousal relationship refers to a marital relationship where the sponsor can prove that the marriage was conducted in accordance of the laws of the country and consistent with Canadian laws. The marriage certificate on its own is generally not sufficient enough evidence to prove the legality of the spousal relationship. It is therefore, important to also provide additional information verifying your relationship in order to enhance the likelihood of a successful application.


A common-law partnership refers to couples who are not legally married to each other however, they have been living together for a minimum of 12 consecutive months as a couple. This application process will generally require additional evidentiary documentation. For instance, you must provide evidence of your common-law relationship that proves you have been living together for a year.


Conjugal partners are two people who have been in a committed relationship for at least one year however, are not legally married or living with each other due to significant legal and immigration-related circumstances. The couple must provide sufficient evidence as to why they could not live together or get married.


At Watts Immigration, we provide exceptional guidance by crafting a customized document checklist based on your relationship background that will present all your information in a clear and concise manner. By allowing IRCC officers to assess your application more efficiently, we will thus optimize your chances for achieving a positive result.

Parents or Grandparents Sponsorship

Canadian citizens or permanent residences may be eligible to sponsor their parents or grandparents to immigrate to Canada. It is necessary to prove that you can financially support your family members, and that they do not require financial assistance from the government. Parents and grandparents can either be related by blood or through adoption.


You can refer to the following table for further information on minimum income requirements:

Figure taken from IRCC website: Please note that these figures do change annually and you must refer to the IRCC website for any updates.

Child or Other Dependent Sponsorship

Canadian citizens or permanent residences may be eligible to sponsor their dependent, foreign-born children to become permanent residences of Canada. Children who qualify as dependent must be under 22 years of age, and not be in a marriage or common-law relationship. The child may be either biologically related or adopted.


At Watts Immigration, we specialize and offer expertise on all types of sponsorship applications. We begin by thoroughly assessing your eligibility and qualifications to ensure that you meet the requirements to become a sponsor. In addition, we will guide you in collecting all the necessary information and supporting documents to guarantee a smooth application process.  


Please note that the current processing time based on the IRCC website is 12 months.